Goats/Breeding Buck

Question
QUESTION: Hi I recently got a buck I was planning on using for breeding but his ear is folded. Do you know if it is a generic thing or is it just a one time occurance? Any information on this that you could give me is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

ANSWER: What breed of goat is this? How old is the goat? Let me know and I will get back to you with more information.  

QUESTION: He is a purebred Boer and is about 5 weeks old. The previous owner couldn't tell me whether or not he was born with it of not. It doesn't appear to have been damaged at any point though.

ANSWER: Thanks for the info. Forgot to ask if the ear was folded lengthwise or just at the tip?  The lengthwise fold is not acceptable and usually is difficult to fix and is genetic.  The folded tip is okay to have.  At his age it is possible to try to unfold either of the above ear folds.  

QUESTION: Ok. His ear is folded just at the tip. So just to make sure I have this right the tip folded up is or is not genetic? And also for showing purposes is it a fault?

Answer
So if it is folded horizontally (across) at the tip of the ear that is okay and not a disqualification for Boer goats.  If it is folded vertically (long length of the ear) then it is a disqualification.  Lots of times the tip of the ear folding occurs because there is not enough room in the uterus and the long ears get "squished" up, so that is not genetic.  Hope that helps.  

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres