Goats/injury

Question
I have 3 dairy goats (mother & twin daughters). The twins were born in March. Yesterday my nephew's therapy dog chased & caught one of the goats, making a small puncture in the neck but also a small swollen area on one back leg, near the hip. She is not using the leg to walk. Do I need to take her to a vet to check the leg.

Answer
Is there a puncture wound at the hip area?  Is the area hot to touch? Is the area sensitive to touch? What is her current temperature? Depending on the size of the dog and the amount of force it used to bite the goat that would decide whether there is a broken bone or just an injury.  For puncture wounds these need to be cleaned with hydrogen peroxide twice a day and would also start the goat on penicillin injectable, intramuscularly in the thigh, at 3 cc/100 pounds body weight, twice a day for 5 days.  Dog mouths are exceptionally dirty and can easily cause infection from the puncture wound.  For the swollen area you could watch and wait but would also at that time give Arnica Montana (a homeopathic injury help), this is over the counter found at many supplement/natural food stores. Would also give aspirin at one 325 mg human aspirin per 75 pounds body weight given every 4 hours to help with pain and swelling - you need to crush the aspirin and dissolve in a little hot water, cool and give orally.  A vet could likely tell you if there is a broken bone or a joint out of place via an x-ray, but this is something you need to decide on, since it will cost you, and the vet may or may not be able to do much in some circumstances.  If the goat has a fever, a temp over 102.5, then that would indicate an infection has already started.  Making sure the goat is eating and drinking is important.  

Sorry to say but I don't think a therapy dog should have a "chase" attitude, this is one thing we try to teach dogs not to do.  

Hope this helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres