Goats/Pain management

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
I have a 17 wks old pygmy goat.  On Monday he received his CD & T shot from the vet.  In the evening he was given a shot for pain (left by my vet) and then my son used a tool and put a rubber ring on him for 'banding' (he has had lots of experience doing calves).  The goat did not seem concerned once the band was on, most likely due to pain meds.  Yesterday he was not his active self.  He did eat but spent more time lying around than usual. Today (Wed) he is walking slowly, almost limping with his back legs.  He is still eating and wagging his tail when I scratch him.  Just laying around more than usual and not eating as much.  I saw him urinate yesterday.  The sac does not appear swollen and is not hot.  Can I give him aspirin for pain? If so how much? He weighs approx. 20lbs  I feel so bad for him.  Im not sure what the best thing to do is.  He's my first experience with banding>  I wish I had a vet do it but was scared because of the stories of the anesthetics killing them.

ANSWER: HI Tina:
hmm.. well most of the boys will go through some antics when the bad is put on for a day then they are over it..  some act worse than others.. I Always recommend a tetanus antitoxin injection - the CDT does not protect him from this right now.. I also usually band around 6 months old to give the  urethra a chance to develop  better  - less chance of urinary calculi later in life - but the limping, rolling around etc is pretty  normal, you will want to make sure to keep an eye on the  testicles  that they do not start to go black and smell bad..  as well as where the band is up against the  gut..  that it is not red swollen and infected.. Check every day -  Make sure to get that tetanus antitoxin injection right away..  I never use anything for pain but a baby aspirin would be fine.. not a 325mg  adult aspirin and never tylenol or advil..  

here are a couple articles to help you understand what to expect and all.

tetanus anti toxin  http://goat-link.com/content/view/199/168/
castration by band method  http://goat-link.com/content/view/20/87/

QUESTION: I am a little concerned that the band we used is not small enough.  My vet was out to do the shots before we did the banding and he said to use the slightly larger band we had as it was a very thick band, much stronger looking than the green one.  It is now Friday (banded Mon even) sack feels cool but not cold as suggested in the article you sent.  There is not any open areas or soars below or above the band that I can see. There does seem to be a bit of thickness in the area just above the band but not hot or swollen.  Therefore I have not put anything on the area.  The band was sterilized before being place on.  I am in Canada so cannot purchase the product in the link.  I will check with the vet again but he did not recommend anything beyond what he administered, with the exception of the pain medication he left. Do you think he is fine and I just need to continue to monitor?  With the baby aspirin he walks better.  So other than walking like he's in uncomfortable I think everything else is normal, he hasn't been laying around as much as on Tuesday.
Again thanks for your help.
I'm not sure how or why the first question got sent twice, sorry.

Answer
HI Tina
Double check with the vet.. as the toxoid CDT injections are  yes for preventing  diseases.. BUT they take awhile to become effective..  I would INSIST on a tetanus ANTI toxin injection for this castration.

"It is easy to confuse toxoid and anti-toxin. Toxoid is the vaccine used to prevent the disease; it requires weeks to become effective, must be boostered with a second injection after 28 days, and one vaccination per goat must be given annually thereafter. Anti-toxin is the single-injection immediate protection needed when the disease is present. If the goat survives, wait at least five days from the last anti-toxin injection and begin anew the two-shot series of toxoid injections."

It is always suggested  whether or not the goat has  been vaccinated with CDT to use the anti toxin at the time of castration and sometimes followed up in 7-10 days. with a second  dose.

Not sure what to say about the band - the small green ones are what I have always used and even at that they sometimes seem too big.. (when the testicles do not go cold right away) which is not the best situation.

What pain med did he leave?

Keep an eye on the area..  you might tell him your concerns and ask if  a second band  (the smaller one) could be placed  and the first bank removed after placement.. Again - it is always best to wait till the kid is at least 6 months old.. it allows the hormones and physical maturity of the urethra - which in turn helps lessen the chance of Urinary Calculi later in life (which is usually fatal)

Castration stops both testosterone production and the growth of the urethra. Solid particles cannot pass through a urethra that has not been given the opportunity to grow to its normal diameter. The chance of contracting Urinary Calculi in male goats can be reduced by not wethering (castrating) them until they are five to six months of age -- giving the diameter of the urethra time to grow.

I very rarely have used any pain meds for banding my kids..  a few weeks ago I banded 15 of them.. took less than 30 minutes.. most of that time was convincing them to 'come and get it'  :)  Some act like nothing.. some act like they are dying for a few hours..  a  Very Few..  still walk funny a few days later.. those are the ones I really watch.. I always give an antitoxin injection right at the time I band..  and it is typically the ones who walk funny for a few days that are more apt to have infection or actual gangrene - and this  can be taken care of  if caught right away by  using PennG  antibiotics, making Sure they have had their tetanus anti toxin injection and  sometimes removing the dead gangrenous testicles  with sharp surgical scissors.. I have only had to do this 3 times over my 23 years.. the first I was guided on the phone while I did it by my vet.  

Goats

Goatlady