Goats/2 goats with similar discharge

Question
Dolly\'s behind
Dolly's behind  
QUESTION: I am in southern Calif. I have two 2 year old maiden oberhasli goats that I kept with a buck for 45 days. From july 23rd to Sept 10th.Then the buck went home. They both appeared to have been covered in Aug. Their tail ends were real messy, he was allowed to get close to them, and they would nuzzle him. They did not run away but I did not see the deed. I saw what I thought was the after effect. After he went home they did not show signs of cycling again. I assumed he was successful. Now,
Yesterday, 11-12-15 the smaller sister Dolly had a 4-5 inch long white mucus type thread coming from her vagina. I thought maybe she was loosing her kids. So I took her temp, all good, she ate as normal, however she was very calm with me, while she is normally skittish. I rubbed her underside and she bunched up like a cat.  I watched her real close all day. Everything was normal.
Now today her big sister had about a 1 inch mucus string coming from her vaginal area. So I am now assuming that neither of them are bred. The big sister Lilly is a maiden milker, and I was just starting to work her into drying up. I was getting about 2 quarts a day. I cant draw blood. I called the milk testers and they wont test just one goat. Do you think either of them could be pregnant? I have included a picture of the goo on Dolly's behind. But I am beginning to think it looks a lot like what I saw when I thought the buck did the deed. Only big difference is the vaginal area is not as pink or swollen looking.

ANSWER: HI Cheryl:

:( Sounds to me like they did not take - are they vocal more than usual? Are they mounting each other? Are they more lovey than before? All of my girls will hunch up when you rub the underbelly..  sorta like they  do when a kid gets under them to eat. When a goat breeds..  you watch for 2 things..  during the mount,  watch him for throwing his head back.. after he dismounts watch her for a bunching up similar to what a dog looks like when they are pooping. Your breeding was pretty early in the season..  it could be the buck  was not as viable  or simply that the girls were not in the correct time of estrus - typically they are in every 21 days for 3 days I always try to breed on the second day of this cycle and  I allow 3  mountings  in each session - if the doe seems as though she may not have "settled' I rebreed  the following cycle. . Without a buck around  it is difficult to see when they do cycle.. You might want to contact the breeder and see if you could borrow the buck again.. first get what is called a buck rag - a cloth ( anything ) that has been rubbed on the buck for scent.. hung on a fence where the does can rub on it.. smell it .. this will help the does come into heat - this would be your best bet.. or call around to find a better goat vet who can possibly inject  them with Lutalyse (prostaglandin)
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e079fd-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

for helping bring them into a cycle..  (Also used for abortions so you may want to make sure absolutely sure they are not pregnant first)  a vet should be able to do an ultra sound test on any doe
I have an article I wrote on breeding
http://goat-link.com/content/view/78/33/

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/management_and_nutrition/management_of_reprodu

I wish I could be more specific.. but  without being with the goats  myself hard to tell but my gut feeling says  they are not pregnant..  I really think a vet needs to confirm via exam and testing

QUESTION: Time told me the answer, today, the big sister had the long string coming from her behind, so I will have at it again. The buck we borrowed before has babies on the ground as of last week. We never saw the deed, only super messy back-ends. So I will ask another breeder for help in 21 days. Is it too late for the larger doe today since the long slime is already there?

Answer
Cheryl:

I would get a buck rag form  the breeder you intend to use or bring him there for a visit.. - both girls may or may not come into a cycle at the same time..  most likely you will need to wait until they cycle next time.

If these girls has taken,  they would be kidding in at the earliest in Dec..  you would be able to feel babies in there  already..  at the latest  they would be kidding in Feb and you would Not be able to feel kids..   

You can always try  the larger doe right now today.. see what happens.. watch closely the entire breeding.. see if she hunches up after he ejaculates (throwing his head back) it may be successful - if not  you can try again in 21 days..  him being there will help the girls come into heat..  which may or may not take this entire 21 days to cycle.

Let me know what you do and how it works out for you..

keeping fingers crossed. :)  

Goats

Goatlady