Goats/banding a buckling

Hi Donna!

First time banding a buckling.  I have done plenty of cattle so I have the basic principles down, just wondering if there is anything I should know before doing a goat.  Should I give him antibiotics or anything?  Just don't want to do anything wrong since he is being sold.

Thank you for your help!

You're right about the basic principles of banding.  For goats I generally give 1/2 of a 325 mg human aspirin (for up to a 20 pound kid goat) crushed and dissolved in a little hot water, cooled and given orally just before banding and then 4 hours later, this helps with pain. I also give 1 cc of CDT before banding the goat.  Generally no antibiotics are needed. Hope this helps - Donna  

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County