Goats/discharge from nubian goat

We just noticed that our female nubian goat had some blood around her tail and anus area.  Found no injury and she holds her tail up high and sometimes stretches out her back end or squats like she has to go to bathroom.  We are new goat owners and I do not know if this how they go into heat or if I should call a vet because maybe she ate something and is trying to pass it

How old is the goat? Is it bright red blood or purplish or pinkish in color? Does her tail area underneath look wet? Has she been with a buck in the past? Is she currently with a buck? Is she acting differently than she usually does?  If the color is not bright red blood but pinkish this could be her standing heat cycle, especially if she is acting a bit differently than at other times.  Is she otherwise eating and drinking well? The stretching of the her back and squatting can also sometimes be part of a doe's heat cycle.  But, these symptoms can also indicate a urinary tract infection.  Have you taken her rectal temperature? If this is a regular heat cycle symptoms/signs will go away in a day or so.  How long have the symptoms been going on?  If this is a urinary infection then an oral tetracycline or duramycin or sulfa type drug will work - these are usually available over the counter at most farm/feed stores.  Let me know about the answers to my questions.  I will get back to you - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County