Goats/Polio in fainting goat?

Question
Hi Donna,

My yearling fainting goat recently came down with possible pneumonia.  She had temp and was off her feed.  I started treating her with Pen-g yesterday.  Now I think she has polio.  She went down this morning.  Her legs are stiff and she bends her head back over her back.  She acts like she is having seizures.  So I got some injectable Vitamin B complex.  I gave her 4ml subcutaneously.  I was able to get some milk replacer with electrolytes into her.  She seems to want to eat but I can't get mush into her easily with the stiff neck.  She did gobble the milk down easily.  I also gave her two baby aspirin.   

How often should I give her the vitamin B and should I give her more than I did?  Under the skin or in the muscle?

How much aspirin can I give her?  She is moaning and in pain, poor dear.

Any other tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!

She was a rescue and when I got her she was really wormy and thin.  It's amazing that she even made it.  So she is a fighter and a real sweet heart.

Thank you again Donna!  It is great that you are doing this for everyone!!

Answer
Certainly sounds like the secondary disease of polio.  Penicillin at 3 cc/100 pounds twice a day given intramuscularly with first dose being a double dose.  Aspirin at one 325 mg human aspirin per 50 pounds body weight every 4 hours, aspirin needs to be crushed and dissolved and then given orally.  Re vitamin B complex - don't usually use the injectable so would go with dose on label.  I use human vitamin B1 giving 5 to 8 tablets per 75 pounds body weight again need to be crushed and dissolved in a little hot water, then given orally, giving every 4 hours.  Giving the electrolytes and milk replacer is excellent.  She also needs probiotics - can use yogurt (1/4 cup per 75 pounds body weight) given twice a day, and you can mix in the other oral items with that too.  Can use an infant rice cereal made very liquidy then mix in molasses and also can add rabbit alfalfa pellets or alfalfa pellets (ground up very finely in a blender), mix well and give orally about 2 to 4 cups a day.  Hope this helps - let me know - thanks for rescuing her - Donna  

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres