Goats/Listerious/Polio ?

Hi Donna, Penny since treatment with the Dex has made a very fast recovery, although a long ways to go yet. One hind limb has gone slightly atrophied and even with the constant exercises and stretching it still is stiff. I get her in a sling now a couple hours a day and all her legs are working even the atrophied one but limited range, won't touch the floor. I thought if I place a weight not a terrible lot but enough tied loosely to her hoof it would help with the stretching and as she is bugged by it she naturally lifts and lowers her leg. Is there anything in a drug I can give to soften the muscle and tendons? Also how long should I keep up the vitamins at a heavy dose can I start to taper them? There hasn't been any symptoms of listeria or polio for 2 days now and today she has her head nice and level and eating drinking like a pro. I'm tapering the Dex a cc a day till I reach 0 Thanks for all your help, looks like we have a winner now to get her on her feet.

So great to hear.  Nice job.  Re the muscles and tendons, use of human chondroitin with MSM an sometimes help.  Steroids can cause muscles to harden too, even if they are not the muscles used for injections.  If she is eating and drinking better and consistently then you could start tapering the vitamins over the next 5 to 7 days.  Again, so glad to hear.  Donna  

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County