Goats/Listerious/Polio ?

Question
Hi Donna, thought I'd let you know Penny took a turn for the worse yesterday after showing good signs of recovering, and passed through the night last night. Too much for her heart, I think as she was very agitated last evening and seemed winded, kept trying to push herself up with her front legs and ended up in some crazy positions and one of these is how I found her. Very saddened but also much relieved after 4 long weeks.
         I do have a question unrelated to Penny. Selenium, can I give this to my pregnant Doe's. I have a couple very pregnant pygmies and noticed their hair is a bit messy, ragged, they do get some lose minerals but not enough I guess. They weigh around 80-90 lbs each so how much is safe. They are due any day now?

Answer
So sorry to hear about Penny.  Sometimes their systems just cannot handle all the stress.

Re the selenium, it is fine to give to pregnant does.  I usually give a dosing 4 weeks prior to their kidding to help with uterine muscle contractions.  With that said, the dosing is per age, not weight.  At 1 year they would get either 2 cc of the Bo-Se injection of 10 of the 200 mcg selenium tablets along with 1000 IU of vitamin E and 1000 IU of vitamin D.  Hope that helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres