Goats/3 nannies vaginal bleeding

Hi I have three nannies who have given birth in the past 1 to 2 weeks. They have been doing fine but I noticed tonight they have vaginal bleeding. I had seen a comment someone posted asking if it was normal and you said it was fine as long as it wasn't a brownish red or had a odor. I don't think mine have an odor. But it is a brownish red, muddy color. what does that mean. Please help, thanks.

Angora goat normal after kidding discharge
Angora goat normal aft  
HI Ashely,
Congratulations on the new babies.
I should have  specified better..
the discharge that is normal will appear as  a red  not bright red but muddy red.. it can appear almost black red..  this is normal, the brownish red is more brown or gray and does have an odor, this is not normal and could mean some placenta was retained or there is infection.  I apologize for the confusion! I should have been more specific - it will have a slight "period" odor, but if it has a foul odor this is when to worry.  This normal discharge will last about a week .. and it comes along  between 4-14 days after kidding. Stick your happy nose down there and sniff  :) if there is little to no odor things are great.. if it knocks you off your feet..  time to put her on antibiotics or contact a vet to make sure the placenta has dispelled.  Also if you are ever worried about this take a rectal temp.. any time a goat has an infection they will run a fever (over 103.5)  if in summer I never worry until it is over 104.. depending on how the goat is acting.. they could have a low grade fever  showing almost normal and be sick.. it is just a guide. If the goat is sluggish or acting ill. then you can figure  something is wrong. So many things come into play .. you need to notice all things about the goat eating habits,scouring, head down, tail down, general lethargy,  how she is in the herd  etc. I attached a (poor) photo of an angora goat with a normal discharge  4 days after delivery - sorry I could not get a better photo but it gives you an idea.  I will wait until it is finished and then I will then clean up the area.. by shearing off the nasty hair and hand washing the area.. no need to do this with dairy or short haired goats it cleans itself up in a few weeks. Hope this helps..  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University