Goats/boer goats

we have some does that started giving birth, but the first 2 their babies died. one of them i had to assist with the birth and he came out breathed for couple of minutes and then died, today another one gave birth to 2 both of them are dead we came to the farm and found them licked clean and both are dead they are not next to each other tho, we do have a great pyr that was sitting next to them but i dont know if the dog did anything because thats a big doe. the does are on turnips, rye and winter oat filed and i feed them and they have protein tubs and salt, mineral blocks, and safegurad dewormer block. and the first one that i had to help she has given birth before on her own couple of times and the babies come out great. that one that i pulled out looked little bit weird tho but he was completely developed. i dont know if he is premature. please advise if i need to do anything diff, or to lock the dog right now. FYI we have some dorper ewes that are on the same field and same feed, they gave birth fine and the lambs are good and healthy, but they give birth to them in end of the field. i'm not sure whats going on. please let me know  if i need to do anything. GOD Bless

HI stmmfarm,

Do these goats have access to  mold free hay, Also? Hay is important in winter months  as it helps keep them warm  and keeps the rumen moving. ALSO the safeguard block is doing you no good at all - :(  for deworming you need to deworm after you  either have fecals done and find wormload or you give the Famacha visual test - I have 2 good articles you can read up on  this - http://goat-link.com/content/view/58/46/ and http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/

As far as the kids go - first of all I am very sorry you lost them :(
Hard to tell if they are related -  I suspect due to the difficult delivery on the one that died right after birth - it may have had oxygen deprivation issues or aspirated fluids at birth and/or may also have been born early - the lungs are the last thing to develop  so even a day or two early can have an effect -  not knowing how the other one died  hard to say - on the  babies born and found dead.. cleaned but not up and living, mom may have been trying to get them up and on their feet  but if it is cold there as it is here- they may have gotten too cold and not responding by crying to mom talking to them..  without this verbal stimulation moms will give up.. I suspect they  died of exposure and  non-nourishment.  I Highly doubt the pyr had anything to do with the deaths - I would think more along the lines the dog was there trying to protect them or keep them warm.
It sounds as if you live off the premises where the goats are located - you may want to  make a place at your  home (if this is the case) where the pregnant does can  kid  closer where you can keep a closer eye on them. This is really the only way to tell for sure what is going on - getting to the scene after the fact if there have been issues  it is next to impossible to know what happened and why.

This is a good general article  to brush up on kidding and preparedness for kidding - http://goat-link.com/content/view/36/33

Make sure  moms are in good health - are properly dewormed and have a safe place out of the elements to kid - first time moms are notorious for  kid abandonment if there is no one there to guide them along..  and lastly if the mom suspects there is something wrong with the kid she will abandon it - this is nature.  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University