Goats/female goat with UTI

Question
I have a goat who is middle age, about 8, who was sold to me when she was young as a Boer (she was in a herd of Boers I bought but is mostly white and cream colored, as was her mother). I have a hobby farm in a mountainous area, and my 13 goats help with cleanup, but I don't breed or sell them, and they are primarily pets.

Both Eleanor and her sister, Juanita, have UTIs; everyone else appears to be fine. Juanita developed the UTI before Eleanor, but Juanita is getting better. Eleanor's fluid stream is minimal and labored, and I have her on generic Bactrim (2 pills twice a day, ground into a powder and mixed with Power Punch for a drench). I can tell from her eyes (not fumacha, just the look in her eyes) that she feels bad. I was thinking of adding Sulmet sulfamethazine sodium straight out of the bottle as a drench, but I don't know about adding it to the Bactrim, given that it is also a sulfa drug, and I don't know how much to give her (she weighs 100 to 120). Is this advisable? One is an antibiotic and the other an antibacterial, and I have so little science background that I don't know the difference.

And are there any natural treatments that I can add? I have a lot of herbs on hand, and I have cranberries I can make into a juice and add honey to. I will give her some SubQ Banamine for the pain. As you can likely tell, my impulse is to do everything I can, but I'm scared I might undo the benefits of what I've already done. I've had goats for more than a decade, but I still need knowledgeable support.

I'm searching my property for all the honeysuckle too high in the trees for the goats to have already gotten, and I will take Eleanor off grain tonight. (None of my goats ever get much packaged feed, though; I have wethers among the herd and a strong sense of fairness, so no goat gets more than 1 cup a day.) I started the Bactrim day before yesterday, so perhaps I am simply impatient. But if you could tell what else I can safely do, I would appreciate it.

Bless you for what you do. I've spent a ton of money on livestock vets in the past, and they know next to nothing about goats. It's appalling.

Answer
Are the does on fir or pine shavings in their shelters?  This can cause urinary tract infections.  Although some does are more prone to picking up a UTI than others.  I usually advise starting the goat with a likely UTI on sulfa/powdered medication - dosage for this is 2 teaspoons/100 pounds body weight twice a day for 7 to 10 days.  Would also give aspirin for a possible fever - I stay away from Banamine unless the goat is grinding its teeth.  She probably has a fever, anything over 102.5 is a fever.  One 325 mg human aspirin per 100 pounds body weight every 4 hours will help - crush the aspirin and dissolve in a little hot water to give orally.  The aspirin helps with fever, pain and inflammation of the urinary tract. During the time a goat is on any antibiotic they also must be on probiotics - I use human yogurt - 2 tablespoons per 100 pounds given twice a day - thin with a little water so you can give as an oral drench.  You should see improvement in the urinary stream as well as the goat looking like it feels better within 3 to 4 days.  Making sure the doe continues to drink a lot of water or electrolytes or warm molasses water is important to also help cleanse the urinary tract.  Use of cranberry juice helps too.  

I hope this helps - please let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres