Goats/Re: Baby Migi

Hi There Donna -  U know Mama IGGY just gave birth to a baby migi & my nephew bought purina goat feed for all the goats but they r also give premium grass hay...How should the grain be given to all goats along with the grass hay... I don't want them to over feed on the grains cuz i'm afraid of bloat & over-eating diseases..Thanks so much Donna & by the way how r u & the goats.. I miss chatting with u..This baby was just born yesterday & don't know exactly how to care for him..He's a boy... & i do't know y they named him after my migi..Lol.. Thanks Donna! Luv U.. Lila Ann

Hi there - always great to hear from you.  If the purina goat feed is the "goat chow" then that is not good for the wethers and bucks - it can cause urinary calculi.  Usually goats do not need the high protein that is in many goat feeds - 16% and higher is a high protein.  A general goat grain usually is fine - like you fed Migi - 12 to 14% protein - and a good hay is plenty to keep goats healthy/happy.  Re the new baby, is the doe feeding it okay? Are you going to bottle raise it? At 2 weeks it needs to be castrated (banded) and disbudded along with getting it's first CDT injection/vaccination.  Another CDT vaccination at 1 month, 2 months 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, all at 1 cc and then starting at 1 year and every year after 2 cc of the CDT toxoid (you can order this online or feed stores usually have it) - not sure if you remember the size of needle, but if you do not, it would be a 22 gauge 1/2 inch needle.  Hope that helps.  Keep me posted.  Oh yes, I have four does in the barn who are due to kid in another 2 weeks - so the bottle feeding circus will start soon - ha, ha.  Love you and Migi - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County