Goats/Re: Goat grains

Question
Hello Donna,
Its me okay my grandnephew bought COB & i told him that they really don't need grains but since the mother (my sister) reprimanded him for not caring & taking responsibility for them the burden now shifts to me & her caring for them so with that being said he (grandnephew) said he mixed the purina goat chow with the cob already so how often & how much shall sister & i feed them this grain feed along with the premium grass hay... U know i am deathly afraid of UC & BLOAT as i often had scares with Migi & i really really really didn't want to go through this ever again...& although i MISS MIGI so much it was such a load off my shoulder to know that i finally won't have to go through the scares with UC & BLOAT i now find myself in this predicament all over again b/c my of the irresponsibility of brother-in-law & nephew.. & now with 4 of them i feel so OVERWHELMED...But sister & i Thank the lord that we have u to guide us along & u don't know how much we appreciate u very much... Thank u so much Donna & we hope to hear from u soon! Luv u always. Btw Donna i don't know the breed of the mother goat but she looks like a dairy goat.. father goat is a pygmy so babies r of mixed breed

Lila &
Migi

Answer
Hi there - are all the goats in together? If so you have two concerns currently - one is the possible UC with boys and keeping the new kid goat out of any harm from the other goats.  Let me know what their housing situation is.  If the new mom and her baby were by herself in their own pen then the mom could have the grain she needs for providing milk to her baby as well as nutrition for herself.  The others then don't really need as much grain and certainly with the boys they don't need the high protein or the other minerals that can cause UC.  Sorry you had this put on your shoulders, but I am glad they have you who has the experience of caring for Migi around to help out.  I am sure Migi is looking down smiling - you know of course he's running around green pastiures up there.  Bloat of course is also a concern with too much grain.  let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres