Goats/1 yr old goat

This is really not  a question     but  a HUGE THANK YOU  I was reading  aquestion  about  a goat  having  seizures   and   was  realizing  that is  exactly  how  my young goat   was  doing  most of  the night     so  early  this  morning   i was  able  to  syringe   some   b-complex   with   thiamin   and have  done  this  all day   i have  also  been giving her  some  Dyne  high-caorie supplement   and   electrolites    and   it is  now 10pm   and  she  is  actually  doing   so much better    WHEN  at   4am   this  morning  I truly   thought I was  going  to   loose  her   before  the  day  was over.   And  now  she  is  like 75%   better   and  just  hoping  everyday  will be  better  and  maybe  she  will even  see again   because   rite  now  she  not seeing  anything        So  with  reading  the  article  about   vitamin defishincy   and  possible  thiamin  def.  that  cann cause  polio    with  possible   blindness    SO  AGAIN  THANK YOU  SO  EVER  MUCH

glad she is better.  But, there is most likely an underlying issue/illness.  If she has a fever, anything over 102.5, then that is caused by an infection, and that fever can cause seizure like activity too.  If she has a pneumonia (with or without a fever) that can cause the thiamine deficiency (polio).  Infections need to be treated with injectable antibiotics, of which penicillin is a good choice to start with.  Hope this helps to explain things.  Nice job though getting her through the night.  Let me know if I can help further - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County