Goats/baby goat

QUESTION: We have a baby goat approx. 4 weeks old has been doing great....eating well, no diarrhea or bloating.  Went out tonight and he seems weak, pale gums, tongue, and inner eyelids.  Crying like he is in pain, almost seems a bit wheezy when he cries.  Was disbudded and castrated about 2 weeks ago.  We called the vet, but they are unavailable at this time.  ANy suggestions>  the vet said start with PCN and bantamine.

ANSWER: Sorry for the delay in answering - if you need to get a hold of me anytime quickly please feel free to call me at 360-742-8310 Donna

Is he a bottle baby or being dam raised? What is the weather like?  Did he get his CDT when he was castrated/disbudded? Did the disbudding go well or was it too deep?  Does the castration site look good/clean?

I would advise starting with penicillin at 1/2 cc intramuscularly in the thigh muscle twice a day for 3 days.  Would not give banamine.  If he is running a fever, anything over 102.5, would use human aspirin at one low dose 81 mg aspirin crushed and dissolved in a little hot water, cooled and given orally, given every 4 hours for pain.  The pain he seems to be in may be the starting of an infection or enterotoxemia.  Let me know - you can call anytime.  I am at home now and near a computer too.  Donna

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your advice.  Unfortunately, the little goat died about 20 min after I had left the message for you.  I think he had enterotoxemia.  We were advised not to administer vaccinations until the babies were at least 6wks old.  I believe we will be going back to giving the vaccines when they are disbudded....sooner than the 6 wk. period.  I also read that the does should be vaccinated 30 days prior to kidding to pass some of the immunity onto the kids.  Which we will also do next kidding season.  Is it ok for me to keep your number in case we run into any issues?  THanks so much for your time!!

So sorry to hear of the loss.  Enterotoxemia is certainly a likely candidate.  Re vaccinations.  They should have their first CDT toxoid at 2 weeks (when disbudded and/or castrated) and then at 4 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks, 6 months, 9 months at 1 cc each time, and then once they are a year of age 2 cc every year.  They can also have a booster anytime there seems to be a stress in their life to keep the Clostridium (causes entero) from growing.  You are correct about the does, they should have a CDT toxoid vaccination (usually is a booster) at 2 cc 4 weeks prior to kidding to give the kids some passive immunity.  Please do feel free to call me anytime or e-mail, but sometimes e-mail is just not fast enough.  I do appreciate the update.  Thanks - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County