Goats/Facial lump.

QUESTION: Hi Donna, I have a Doe, with a really large lump under her eye and in-line with her back teeth. I pressed on it and it is hard as a rock and doesn't seem to bother her. My first thoughts were it may be an abscess, but a lady just emailed me about a doeling I sold her today with what appears to be the same thing. I did have goat pox here and the doeling also contracted it. The large Doe did not get it, but could this lump be because of that? Seems if it were a tooth it would affect her eating and she's always chewing. Any thought's? Thanks.

ANSWER: Usually goat pox does not present in that area. CL can occur in that area.  This could be coincidental that they both have a bump there, could be from insect bite, or being hit in that area by another goat, etc.  Doubt it is a tooth abscess, and you are correct she would not be eating/chewing well.  Hope this helps a little at least - Donna

QUESTION: Hi Donna if it is a CL lump would it have any give to it, cause this is rock hard, like bone and you can't even move it?
RE   the goat with Pneumonia has much improved when I switched the antibiotics to penicillin. She is up eating normal and appears no worse for wear. Thankyou.

A CL lump can become fairly hard if it fills up quickly.  Was the lump not there one day and the next there? Sounds like it is not able to be opened.  I would probably just watch and wait.  It is strange that the other goat has what appears to be the same thing.

Glad to hear the other doe is doing well.  

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County