Goats/goat with diarrhea

Question
QUESTION: I have a 1.5 year old first freshener with diarrhea. She kidded about 3 3 1/2 weeks ago both kids died one seemed to be stillborn the other made it a few hours they Looked a little premature.I am milking her. She has diarrhea this morning. temp is 103.5 she is eating. I am feeding noble goat pellets, dry cob/black oil sunflower seeds, alfalfa pellets  and a little beet pulp. She gets about a cup of the goat chow and a cup of the cob in the milk stand morning and night and alfalfa and beet pellets in feeder in barn free choice with some of the cob mixed in. Also browse all day.the diarrhea looked kind of mucousy.

ANSWER: HI Teri,
I am so very sorry you lost your babies. Have you changed her feed any  lately ? added something different or more of something? If so this may be the issue and if you  cut back on some of what ever is new or more than usual the scouring should reside - if not it may possibly be wormload. Newly freshened  does are prone to wormload  after they have kidded.. Read my entire article (  http://goat-link.com/content/view/58/46/ ) but this  paragraph applies to this situation :

NOTE:
An aggressive approach to deworming needs to be followed after kidding- I use Ivomec Plus or Valbazen both of which will kill the adult stages of Liver Fluke as well as the other important gastrointestinal worms - Never use Valbazen on a possibly pregnant doe as it can cause birth defects or early abortion
Again, I use the Ivomec Plus at the rate of 1cc/30 lbs goat weight for severely wormy goats and always injected SubQ and for regular maintenance I use it the the rate of 1cc/40lbs goat weight.
Valbazen is an oral suspension that is given at the rate of 1cc/10lbs body weight. (Valbazen also kills tape worms that Ivomec Plus does not kill) So I keep both on hand.

Remember: To get all stages of developing larvae, the goat needs to be treated every 10 days for 3 treatments then again in 30 days- this kills the larvae as they develop to 3rd and 4th stage larvae.
Milk Withdrawal: Residual concentrations for human consumption of Ivermectin were recovered in milk up to 11 days (oral treatment) or 25 days (subq treatment) post treatment. We use no withdrawal for kid consumption.

QUESTION: Oh sorry I did not answer those questions,
Goat is ruminating
We are in Oregon
She is eating and drinking
She is 1 1\2 nubian/oberhasli pygora cross
She is up and walking around

My 2 other does kidded day before her and a few days after her. So at what age can i deworm the kids? And i was unable to give cdt to moms at one month before kidding (though the wee, are current)so also when can i vaccinate?
first thing yesterday morning as I stated temp 103.5 is that just considered a high normal? After noon it was 102.5 and this morning 102.7. She seems to want to be real close to me but diarrhea seems to be getting better not soloid pellets yet. Do people drink milk from a goat with diarrhea? I gave it to the chickens and the cats yesterday. Just more food and we don't have hay right now so I have been giving more alfalfa pellets and beet pulp pellets ( beet pulp pellets are a recent addition in the last month) maybe more wet green grass while browsing? I will Keep an eye hopefully she is fine and just a little tummy ache.
  Another thing with the worming and withdrawal. Is it totally necessary to follow withdrawal times for personal consumption?

Answer
Hi Teri

You said
"we don't have hay right now so I have been giving more alfalfa pellets and beet pulp pellets ( beet pulp pellets are a recent addition in the last month) maybe more wet green grass while browsing?"

I will bet this is the problem..  they Need hay..  the additional alfalfa pellets, rich wet grasses and beet pulp is most likely the culprit.. too rich not enough  fiber.. (even  with the beet pulp shreds) You also mention out on browse..  rich springtime forage is also  something to be careful of.. after a long winter on hay.. then to eat rich feed like spring grasses etc.. can turn into enterotoxemia.. http://goat-link.com/content/view/62/94
at the least give a case of scours..and make sure you are soaking the beet pulp shreds in hot water for 15-30 minutes .. they can and WILL choke on them and this can be deadly. And if you have horses or donkeys do NOT allow them into the beet pulp .. even a small bite can cause choke.. which can Also be deadly (Ask me how I know.. after a 250.00 emergency vet bill for my donkey who ate less than a small handful)
In the spring it is always a good idea to let the goat eat hay  wait till the morning dew  dries off the pasture and THEN let them out to eat.. the hay in the morning will keep them from gorging on  rich grass and the  wait  for it to dry will help alleviate  the chance of worms.. 103.5 is a high normal..  had she been off feed and head hanging tail down I would have suspected pneumonia.. but  from how she was acting from your description I  did not address that.. :)

no milk withdrawal with ivomec injections.
as long as you keep  anything from getting into the milk - brush the udder, do not let feet etc fall into the milk no reason not to drink it with scours.

here is the CDT vaccination schedule:
http://goat-link.com/content/view/161/168

On baby goats I wait till 2-3 months old before deworming  and I use oral Valbazen  http://goat-link.com/content/view/39/168/  for them.. it gets tapes as well as the others - in addition time to watch for  weight loss and scruffy appearance  - as well as stinky scours with 2-3 month old kids.. this is prime time for cocci.  
http://goat-link.com/content/view/145/155/

ALSO watch for lice and treat with ivomec POUR ON http://goat-link.com/content/view/180/168/ IF they have lice.  

Goats

Goatlady