Goats/hookworms in billy boer goat

Question
Please help my Billy goat got diaherrea on 2-4-15 so we dewormed with cydectin and he responded well then he got diaherrea again on the 2-18-15 we took a fecal test to the vet and they said he has worms and parasites vet came out and gave ivomec plus and milk of magnesia to help diaherrea during this whole time we have been giving him peanut hay and nutrition drench and power mate in his water he got better then again got diaherrea so we finally got a call back from the gentleman we bought him from and he said sounds like coccidia give him di-methox for 5 days we did this and he got better then we were back to square one so we did research online and thought maybe we have wiped out his good bacteria we bought probios and gave him some on 3-28-15 and on 3-30-15 vet came out again today Billy would not get up so we gave him his probios and nutrition drench he then stood up for a lil then laid back down vet gave him antibiotics w steroids and dewormed again with ivomec plus and said his temp was a lil low and gave him diarfanyl for diaherrea and took fecal sample got a call he has hookworms will ivomec plus take care of the hookworms please please help we do not want to see our gentle Billy goat die we have tried to help him the best we can

Answer
HI Jess,
I'm sorry you and your precious boy have been through so much..  
What did the vet say about this?  I know a dewormer called Valbazen (Albendazole)  is the drug of choice  which is a white oral liquid will  kill Bunostomum trigonocephalum (hookworm) ALSO

you could use  Safeguard ( Fenbendazole paste) which is also in the  keep in mind Safeguard   is typically only good for hookworm and  tapeworm in goats.. it is ineffective on the other major intestinal worms BUT Safeguard is a safe drug to use along with  Ivomec. Both of these dewormers  are of the Benzimidazoles  class of Anthelmintics  (dewormers)

The label on Ivomec Plus DOES SAY it gets hookworm  but in this case I think I might follow up with safeguard or valbazen orally..  you should ask your vet about this though first in case he thinks  Valbazen would be better or if he thinks the Ivomec PLUS is enough..  . The "plus" part of this Ivomec (Clorsulan) is for liver fluke and your vet was correct in using it.

AND Keep in mind..  for reference.. Never use Valbazen on pregnant does.

Did he say there should also be supportive therapy for your goat such as  B12 injections  or did he give an iron injection or recommend orally giving redcell?

What did the vet give as a prognosis for him?
As weak as he is..  I think I would be giving him some redcell daily.. (  http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16412) this is an oral supplement rich in iron and nutrients. It is made for horses but does well also with goats - found in most feed stores.

Keep in mind for using safeguard  on goats we use this off label at the rate of 4x the cattle dosage - *How to figure the dose using the tube horse wormer with the dial: The dose for this wormer is 4X the horse dose, by weight. The dial on this wormer is marked out by weight, in pound increments. So...if your goat weighs 100 pounds, you pretend she weighs 400 pounds... this is a 4X dose, and you adjust the dial to about 400 pounds. If your goat weights 50 pounds, you turn the dial to roughly 200 pounds. This is a very safe wormer, and you cannot over dose it, so don't worry about giving too much; it is better to give too much, than too little.

Please double check with your vet and  ask about giving  the supplemental care for his recovery..  AND if he thinks the  Ivomec Plus will be effective enough for the hookworm or  if you should follow up with Safeguard or Valbazen.

Make sure he has electrolytes in his water all the time  like you have been doing.. as well as getting the redcell..

I hope he turns around for you.. keep me posted

Goats

Goatlady