Goats/Lame goat!

Hi,  I have a 3 year old goat who was running in the barn last week and she slipped abs feel on her right side and now she will not put any weight on her hind leg. I checked it for a break but nothing feels out of place.  It seems that beer ankle is swollen, only enough to be noticeable,she does limp around, and she is eating and drinking normally. There has been no improvement in over a week. Is this a sprain? And how can I make her more comfortable?  I have given her asprin for a few days but I feel like that isn't helping. And how long will it take to heal or see improvement?  Thank you!

Does sound like a sprain/muscle/tendon pull.  This can take days to weeks to get better.  I would advise using aspirin - one 325 mg aspirin per 75 pounds body weight every 4 hours for at least a week's time.  The aspirin needs to be crushed and dissolved in a little water and then given orally.  Would also use a homeopathic remedy called Arnica Montana - giving 5 pellets either dissolved in a little hot water and that mixture given orally or giving the 5 pellets into the mouth and keep the goat's mouth closed for a few seconds - the pellets will dissolve quickly.  This is 3 to 4 times a day for 5 to 7 days.  Most supplement/natural food stores carry the Arnica Montana or you can get it over the internet.  You can also use MSM (human kind) to help with the inflammation.  After starting the above items you should see improvement in the limping and being able to stand on the leg better and more in about 7 to 10 days.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County