Goats/newborn pygmy goat

Question
I had triplets born today. I wasn't with the mom during birth, but found her shortly after. One baby was already dead and it's umbilical cord was large and full of blood. What causes that, and could I have prevented death by being there when he was born. Thank you

Answer
Sorry to hear of the loss.  Being full of blood would indicate the cord vein hemorrhaged, either from being torn in an abnormal way at birth or a prolonged birth time or from being a breech kidding.  It is always great if we can be at the kidding to help if needed, but we always can't.  But, there is no way to tell if you could have prevented the death by being there.  Hope this helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres