Goats/newborn pygmy goat

I had triplets born today. I wasn't with the mom during birth, but found her shortly after. One baby was already dead and it's umbilical cord was large and full of blood. What causes that, and could I have prevented death by being there when he was born. Thank you

Sorry to hear of the loss.  Being full of blood would indicate the cord vein hemorrhaged, either from being torn in an abnormal way at birth or a prolonged birth time or from being a breech kidding.  It is always great if we can be at the kidding to help if needed, but we always can't.  But, there is no way to tell if you could have prevented the death by being there.  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County