Goats/severe frostbite on 3 week old Angora goat

Question
Olga the frostbitten goat
Olga the frostbitten g  
Olga Frostbitten goat
Olga Frostbitten goat  
QUESTION: Hi Donna
Olga is now a month old - yeah!! She has developed a personality that is darling.  She has lost  all the dead on her legs, one of them has no hoof or leg below the elbow. She lost this tonight and the skin is very red and has a spot of nasty stuff.  I have cleaned with peroxide, put antibiotic cream on them. Should I put gauze on them and keep them wrapped, in order to keep them clean. Or should I leave them open in the air?  The penicillin is being given once a day 1/2 cc. It hurts when I give it to her, I am not very good at it, I guess. Have one more day of Anarca, you had mentioned one week of use. Can I continue this to keep her comfortable. She is playing and in good spirits.

I hope this new leg ( bad joke) of her journey will be easier and that we are out of danger. I attached pictures of both legs.

Thanks for your time and support!!!

Donna

ANSWER: Thanks so for the update.  Re the red area/possibly infected looking, cleaning with peroxide is excellent.  Keeping gauze on that with antibiotic ointment until the skin is less red and cleaner looking is a great idea - hoping that she won't want to chew it off.  Would think she does not need the penicillin anymore unless that one area continues to be infected looking.  You can certainly stay with the Arnica for as long as she is healing, it won't hurt her.  Continuing to keep the other "new" skin clean and moist is advised.  I am excited to hear that she is playing and seems happy - great news.  Well, of course, she has a great mom caring for her! You are doing a great job.  You are a wonderful person - bless you so. Donna

Wanted to say that I know her legs are off length but you might be able to build/make a prosthetic for her.  I might also advise using vet wrap to gently wrap the affected "feet"/or what is left of the leg to keep that area from getting raw from using it, if she does.  I think she will do well, as she started out in life with this deficit and as she grows her body should compensate for it more easily.  But, she is indeed a special little girl.  

As an aside, I have not used a vet in probably 20 years - my horse vet, when I would ask him a goat question, would always say to me "Donna, they are only goats" - I always hated that.  Glad you have taken on Olga. Donna

QUESTION: Good day Donna

I wanted to give you an update on sweet Olga. She is 15.5 lbs, developing her horns ( they hurt when she tries to give me a kiss), and is acting like a Kid. Yesterday we amputated the leg just below the elbow /knee joint as it was just not healing. She is hurting and restless today, but still scratching her horns on the furniture and moving around. If it heals well, with no infections she will do great. We are thinking of making a prosthetic and a little cushioned boot for that leg. The other leg is still to be determined.

She is still on goat milk, but when I run short can I mix it or give her cow milk or do I need to do a gradual change.

I want to thank you for being on this journey with us and helping us along the way.

Peace

Donna and Olga

Answer
So wonderful to hear from you.  Thanks so for the update.  Glad little Olga is doing well.  Sounds like it was a good decision to amputate and a prosthetic sounds great - if dogs can get used to them I am sure a goat can too.  I would use a multi species milk replacer instead of cow milk - cow milk has very large milk fat molecules and this can cause indigestion for goats and cow milk is not rich enough for goats - you can use cow milk mixed with canned milk and powdered milk mixed together - about 1 cup to 1/2 can to 1/2 cup mixed up powdered milk - you would also need to give her a vitamin mixture to include vitamin D, zinc, vitamin A. You can use infant vitamins.  Otherwise, if you use the multispecies type milk replacer that has everything she needs - either one you would need to gradually switch her over.  

I bet she is quite full of herself and loves you greatly.

Nice job caring for her - love to you both - Donna  

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres