Goats/BAD TOOTH

Question
Hi, Donna how are you this good Friday. The Doe I mentioned a bit ago has an abscess on her jaw caused by a bad tooth. I have been able to drain the pus from it a couple times, but she obviously is in great pain. She wants to eat but quickly spits it out as she can't chew. It is a molar and from what I can feel and see it is pretty much broke off and most likely the nerve will die if I can get her through this. I rubbed a bit of crushed garlic on it. I have pain killers coming Ibuprofen, and aspirin. I have her on penicillin. is there anything more I can do? She will take a bit of bread and I made a warm bucket electrolytes and added some molasses, probably not the best choice, but to keep her energy up. Thanks.

Answer
Penicillin should take care of the infection.  3 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day intramuscularly (a must) for 7 to 10 days.  For the pain, and most likely she has a fever (over 102.5 temp) would use human aspirin one 325 mg per 75 pounds body weight crushed and dissolved in a little hot water, and given every 4 hours until the pain subsides.  I would advise mixing up a drench made with human oatmeal made thinner than normal and to that add five vitamin B complex tablets that have been crushed (about 1 cup of oatmeal) along with a tablespoon of molasses, mix well, cool and give orally as a drench 3 to 4 times a day. She also needs to be on probiotics during the time she is on antibiotics - yogurt at two teaspoons twice a day works well and you can mix this into the oatmeal mush.  Hope this helps - let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres