Goats/follow up on Abby

Thank you for your earlier responses. You asked what antibiotic that Abby, our now 8 week old doeling, was taking, and for what. The vet diagnosed her with navel ill, but she has had none of the symptoms-not swollen or tender joints, no limping, not just lying still or not moving around-and we personally think it may have been pneumonia, although she had a cough, the vet said her lungs sounded good. We had started her on Penicillin 1.5cc 2xday when we took her to the vet. He gave her an injection of Normycin, which he said would last 7 days, and recommended we continue with just one 1.5cc injection of penicillin a day. We did that for a week, she recovered, he recommended another week of the same, and she is doing great. We have given her Probios daily to help with the antibiotic overload, and she is eating great. We have cut back on the milk she is getting, and she is eating hay, feed, and forage very well. Tomorrow is her last day of antibiotics, and I am a little nervous, because the vet said if she starts running fever again in 3-5 days, it is a sure sign it is navel ill. My question is this: If it is indeed navel ill, would those 2 antibiotics have cleared it up? Or is it possible that she does have it and the treatment just cleared up a secondary infection caused by navel ill inhibiting her immune system? Should we try the Baytril you suggested if she begins running fever again? I am almost ready to wean her, but then worry I won't be able to monitor her fluid intake as closely if she does get sick again. Then at the same time I worry the way she takes her bottle is causing her to aspirate some which could have lead to the pneumonia I really think she had. And then another worry is if whatever she had was actually affected by the penicillin instead of the Normycin, then did taking only half the recommended daily amount possibly have not totally eradicated the illness? Should we continue even a little longer with the penicillin? As you can tell, I am a worrier, but I sure want to do everything right by this sweet girl.

HI Rhonda,
If she is acting fine and all seems well I see no reason to continue medications - actually over doing the meds is a bad thing as it  lower's the resistance to the medications.
I believe if it was in fact navel ill and  she has no symptoms now, the  infection is gone.
8 weeks is pretty young to wean.. I usually try for 4 months even if they are actively eating. You may want to extend this especially for her since she has been through so much already.

(What am I forgetting about the way she takes a bottle that it makes you worry?)  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University