Goats/Goat kid scours

Hi, I have a 2 week old goat with diarrhea for almost a week. No temperature . Green watery . We cut her milk back have been giving electrolytes  . She acted ok up until 2 days ago, now is getting more lethargic . Will still suck and walks around . Thick mucus in her nostrils . One other had loose stool for about a day the. It went away. A third baby has snotty nose but thats the only simptom. A week ago we had to switch milk when we got her.
What do we do???

Hi, Allison,

Do you know of a vet you can call? It sounds like an infection of some kind. It he approved drug for pneumonia and which can help other infections is Naxcel, which requires a prescription. If you have no way to get that, then I would get some Biomycin, which you can get at a feed store. The dosage is 5 cc per 100 lbs every 48 hours for 4 doses. She needs to drink the milk for energy. For diarrhea there is a horse product called Bio sponge, that helps coat the intestine. I got some from a vet, but I know,they sell it online, and maybe insome stores. Pepto bismol may also stop the diarrhea. You can drench her with that, or get the kind that is a paste for animals. It could be the stress of switching milk. Are you using goat milk?

Let me know if you have questions. I hope you can get a vet to see what she thinks.

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law