Goats/help

Question
Hi my name is lizeth and we're in need of help. We got home from work and my dad as always went to check up on the goats. He saw one of the male goats hes about 4 or 5 months old with his head down. We stand him up but he keeps his head down and falls on his face. Hes has diarrhea and since everyone was working we don't know if he got ill this morning or towards the evening. We also live in texas. He has been eating and drinking. They eat hay and corn mix. My mom gave him some pipto bismol and electolytes.

Answer
HI Lizeth,
Have you done a fecal on him for wormload? Sounds like he may have either a heavy wormload or coccidiosis causing severe anemia. Many times  people do not see it until they get very weak..
You can check his inner eyelid color - it should be very dark pink..  I am incvluding a link to show you how to look and what to look for along with 2 more articles.. one on deworming and one on treating coccidiosis..

Checking for anemia: http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/
Deworming: http://goat-link.com/content/view/58/46/
Coccidiosis: http://goat-link.com/content/view/145/155/

he is the right age for both heavy wormload  and coccidiosis - alsdo always take a rectal temperature  when you have a sick goat - normal is 101.5 to 103.5.. when they are anemic they typically have a low  rectal temp. You may want to contact your vet.. as sick as he is for  supportive therapy.  In addition  to deworming,  I always give B complex injections to help build the  body back up.. electrolytes are always good choice.. remember.. scouring is a symptom of something  going on in the system..  while you do not want them to dehydrate, you also want them to be able to get rid of the bad stuff - so when you use pepto use only enough to coat the gut and not enough to stop the scouring..(scouring is diarrhea)

Head down can also mean pneumonia. which can also  have scouring.. head down and tail tucked..  not wanting to eat or drink .. temp would be 104 or higher usually..  in this case you would need to get him on antibiotics..   
treating pneumonia: http://goat-link.com/content/view/100/91

If he is down I do suggest calling the vet so he can get a quick hands on exam.. no time to waste when they are this sick..  

Goats

Goatlady