QUESTION: I have a 6 week old boer goat who has been just fine until yesterday.  Her left joint hurt her to put weight on it in the front.  Today it appears to be the right front.  Her temp is103.6 this morning.  I read your post saying 2 cc penicillin im to treat joint ill.  I don't know how to find any muscle on this little girl!

ANSWER: Sorry for the delay.  Certainly sounds like joint ill - penicillin usually works well - penicillin would be 1 1/2 cc twice a day for 5 days.  Aspirin at one 81 mg aspirin crushed and dissolved in a little hot water, cooled and give orally - give a dose every 4 hours until the fever is down and she seems more comfortable. Re the rear thigh muscle - this is the wide muscle at the curve of the rear legs - you would use one hand to squeeze the area together so the muscle is easier to get to - you would inject the needle from the back straight on.  The muscle is not large but it is there - hope this helps - Donna 360-742-8310

QUESTION: Thank you so much Donna. I'm afraid IM not hitting any mus le!  If it's only going in SUBQ, will it not help her?  This is so awful.  Should I redid all my babies in iodine now or is it too late for that?

Did forget to say that use of a 22 gauge needle 1/2 to 3/4 inch in length is best - the muscle is indeed small but if you squeeze the whole thigh area and go for the middle you should hit muscle.  Subcu only gets 50% of the medicine to the goat unfortunately.  Too late for the iodine, it has to be done within an hour of birth.  If you do not see any improvement in her symptoms in 24 to 48 hours would switch to LA-200 if you have it - 2 1/2 cc once a day for 5 days - also given intramuscularly.  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County