Goats/kid lost his voice

We have 2 Nubians, a 6 wk old doeling and 8 wk old castrated buckling. The doeling has been sick, first diagnosed with joint ill, but now the vet thinks pneumonia. Anyway, this has involved separating the two when we take her to the vet, and when we have to bring her inside to administer sub-q fluids and injections. He is very healthy, eats great, has a problem with jumping on us that we are working on, but otherwise a normal goat. However, he has cried so much when they are apart that he is hoarse, and it really makes me think his throat must be sore. Is there anything we can give him to soothe his throat? I have a hard time drenching the doeling, partly because I am a newbie and intimidated, and I think partly because she's tired of me shoving stuff down her throat....but the buckling will eat anything you give him. Any advice for us folks new to goats?

HI Rhonda,
how long are they apart when he cries?  Only when she comes in the house to get treated?  I have had kids over the years who have gone almost voiceless due to hollering.. and honestly there is nothing you can really do but try to keep the  incidences that cause the crying to be limited. the voice will come back  after he stops crying so much.. BTW he is terribly young to have been castrated already. :(

I have many articles on raising goats especially designed to help newbies like yourself..

take a look..  it has just about anything you need to know.
What are you drenching with? be very careful not to hold her head upward - this can cause the liquid to go down into the lungs.  Hold her head straight.  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University