Goats/mom wont nurse

Question
my goat just had a csection yesterday.  she just stands in the yard and doesnt want anything to do with her baby.  I have been bottle feeding colostrum from mom that the vet got for me.  she wont let me near her.  this morning she finally let me pet her nose but that was it.  My husband said the vet cleaned the baby up....I guess mom didn't do this.  Do you think she will come around eventually and love on her baby?

Answer
HI Teresa,
Quite honestly if mom is just standing in the yard.. and refuses attention -  I  would call the vet  and have her looked at- just to make sure nothing is wrong with her from the surgery - this does not sound normal to me.  Take her rectal temp if you can - anything below 100 is serious.. anything above 104 could be infection and is also serious.. IN addition  this baby needs bottles of milk  - after a Csection surgery usually  the moms will not nurse the babies - too much pain the the area from the surgery - Please read m y article on bottle feeding babies http://goat-link.com/content/view/94/76/

Goats

Goatlady