Hi Donna, been working with my girl, still very sick but taking nourishment not sure if it's enough or even safe though. Breakfast this morning consisted of 4 slices of bread whole wheat as she loves bread and a plain bagel, 2 cups warm goats milk, and 2 cups electrolytes with molasses in it. And two oranges another favorite. Going to buy some oatmeal and make a mush for her for dinner. So is this ok, and she eats every 2 hours or so, and drinks willingly. What is causing the abdominal cramps? usually comes in waves of two and then will ease off a bit, but she is in constant distress with this as she moans a bit. No matter the pain she keeps eating. When the pain comes is when the drool comes, clear fluid. She doesn't want hay, would take grain but I won't give it. Is there anything I can give for this abdominal cramping? And would yogurt be safe to give? Thanks, O she is getting the B1 AND PEN G AND PROBIOTICS EVERY 6 HOURS.

When she first was ill did she have any white foam around her mouth?  It is certainly possible she has enterotoxemia, although generally it only affects younger goats - might give her CDT toxoid if you have it - 2 cc now, again in 4 hours and again in 8 hours.  Re the abdominal cramps that is usually from a toxin.  You can use alcohol for it - some type of liquor or beer - 1 or 2 ounces every 4 hours can help with the spasms.  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County