Hi Donna, Peanut is still fighting to stay alive. What I mistake for actual rumen sounds are in fact sounds of gas moving around from all the food rotting up in her belly. I do believe her rumen is working some but not fast enough. I checked a few site's out and all agree that the bacteria being generated from a slow rumen is the problem with abdominal pain, and all suggest to use Milk of Magnesia to induce diarrhea to push out the bad junk. Once that is done then Yogurt to restart the rumen. My question is should I take her off solids and just give electrolytes till things clear up? Also about the polio, things have improved with partial paralysis in the face. I noticed a partial blink on the bad side. I still have her on Pen G, was wondering when to stop that she has been on it now for 5-6 days? She is a fighter that's for sure. Thanks

I think we talked about milk of magnesia for the gas, and yes, now that you are talking about possible leftovers in the system would do a two day course of the milk of magnesia to see if all can be cleaned out - you could also use human type "colon cleanse" tablets to do this too - this cleans out the intestines without a lot of diarrhea.  Would use 1/2 cup milk of magnesia per 75 pounds body weight 3 to 4 times a day.  In between the milk of magnesia would give electrolytes and probiotics and vitamin B1.  Would give light food such as cereals (human type) and especially baby cereals - these go through the system more easily but still give nutrition.  I would think you could stop the penicillin anytime but do keep her on B1 high dosings for another 7 days or so, at least until you see her system being cleared out and she is eating a normal diet.  Hope this helps - gotta love those goats when they fight so hard to stay alive - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County