Goats/Time for a wormer

Question
Have four adult wethers. time for spring dewormer. april 2014 gave them panacur. October 2014 gave them ivermectin. don't want to give same wormer to often, need to rotate.  overall they are in good health, I monitor their poop closely. nice pellets nothing obviously wrong. had a fecal done twice last year, looked good, low counts. I keep the barn pretty clean. the meadow they graze in is fenced, no other animals.
what wormer should I use this time?

Answer
HI Rick,
Research has shown that it is NOT good to rotate dewormers -  this creates a resistance to your parasite issue..

Anthelmintic resistance was inevitable. It is a world wide problem, having reached catastrophic proportions in some regions. Each time an anthelmintic is administered to an animal, it eliminates parasites whose genotype renders them susceptible and selects for parasites who are resistant and pass their resistant genes onto the next generation of worms.

DO NOT ROTATE DEWORMERS. Use one dewormer until it quits working, then change to another family of dewormers. As a general rule, the white-colored dewormers (Safeguard/Panacur and Valbazen) no longer kill stomach worms in most areas of the United States. In wet areas, producers may get a better response from deworming by fasting the goats (take them off grain and hay but not off water) for at least 12 hours before deworming. Using a contrast-colored PaintStik crayon (hot pink and fluorescent green show up well), mark the forehead or horns of each goat as deworming progresses so that animals are not medicated multiple times. This also saves money, as anthelmintics (dewormers) are expensive. Keep the animals in the same pen/pasture for up to 24 hours because they will be sloughing worms in their feces -- then move them to a fresh clean pen/pasture. However, under many circumstances, freshly dewormed goats that were heavily infested with worms should not be moved to new pasture because whatever worms they have retained are resistant to the dewormer that was used, resulting in contaminating the fresh pasture with resistant worms. The producer obviously does not want a clean pasture full of resistant worms. These choices are something that each producer has to learn to deal with as it applies to the specific goat-raising operation.

Stick with Ivomec PLUS Injected SQ or Valbazen oral suspension - I use  Ivomec  PLUS injected SQ at the rate of 1cc/40lbs unless goat is severely  loaded with parasites - then I use 1cc/30lbs..  for Valbazen (NEVER use on pregnant does) I use 1cc/10lbs orally - repeat in 1-0 days and again in 1-0 days.. total 3 times.. ONLY deworm when needed..  spot check goats through the year and deworm only those goats who show signs of anemia or whose fecal exams show heavy wormload..  

Goats

Goatlady