Goats/Vaccines and CDT

QUESTION: Recently, our 2 rescue goats passed away with relatively no symptoms. Since they were from a rescue we can only suspect that they did not receive their CDT vaccines. We are now looking into new goats. besides making sure they are properly vaccinated, is there anything else we should do around the farm to make sure they do not have the same fate?

I am SO very sorry you lost your goats.. Can you give me more detailed information on them? Symptoms they had, what they were eating? Age? how long you had them? What deworming program you use? Even the most insignificant symptoms.. they had to have had somehting  different about them that you may not have thought  important at the time maybe?

Quite honestly I have never had nor heard of a goat dying simply from not having their CDT vaccines.  

QUESTION: There were no symptoms that we saw. Being rescue animals, we don't know their exact age but I would say around 2 and 3. We had the bonded pair for a little over a year. They were fine one day and the next we found them laying on ground with no injuries or signs of illness. They were eating hay and grain. We don't use a deworming program...should we be? I read this in an article and assumed the vaccine could have helped:
"Types C and D are the culprits of enterotoxemia. Type C is found around the farm in manure and soil. A young animal may ingest this strain while nursing a doe or ewe with a dirty or contaminated udder. Once inside the body, the bacteria grow rapidly and produce a toxin that results in rapid death"

HI Laura,
BOTH of these goats died  at the same time? how were they laying? (Please try to be as precise as you can ) were there any signs of  the ground next to the feet/legs being disturbed as if they were struggling to get up? Are these goats anywhere  that  may be in contact with neighbors or others?

On the deworming  Absolutley.. you need to folow a good deworming program

And as far as the CDT info.. there are still symptoms and this is typically in situations where enterotoxemia is an issue.. (overeating) Symptoms of Enterotoxemia include watery diarrhea (or no diarrhea, if paracute), lethargy (sluggish) , low body temperature as the goat begins to shut down and die, arching of the back (abdominal discomfort), screaming (extremely painful), head pulled back, lying on side and leg paddling, convulsions, coma, and death.  Typically if  you are reading that  the animal will just be found dead it is suggesting this is what happens to a baby goat- not an adult.

I believe Something else is going on here.. fine one day and dead the next BOTH goats laying together is not  something that happens.. naturally ..usually..  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University