Goats/2 week old goat

Question
QUESTION: I have been doing everything I can for Shelby, I had to take her back to the vet yesterday, her front right knee is swollen again and she cannot straighten out, she still won't stand she will be 3 weeks old on Saturday, the vet told me the outlook doesn't look good for her and her quality of life, he sent me home to let it sink in that its time to let her go. but I keep asking myself but what if I wait? she is in pain all the time, the asprin helps a little with pain. I really appreciate everything you have helped me with so far.  Sonya

ANSWER: What have we tried?  What has the vet tried?  For joint ill that seems not to respond to other antibiotics, use of LA200 or Biomycin usually will work - this is 4.5 cc per 100 pounds body weight once a day for 7 to 10 days.  You can get over the counter Banamine gel and that helps with pain, the vet can also give you Banamine injections for her.  You can increase the aspirin to double or triple the dosing to help with pain and inflammation.  You can also try some "old" methods of opening up the tissues and allowing them to drain - use of peppermint oil in a lotion and use that to massage 4 times a day or use cabbage leaves that are put into boiling water and once wilted and cooled to be able to touch without burning place them as a wrap around the affected joints.  Let me know - you can also call to talk more about this if you'd like - Donna 360-742-8310

QUESTION: My first question was on may 2, but I wasn't able to do a follow up question so that's why I started a new one. This is what we have done

I was brought a 3 day old goat did not have any of her mothers milk she was a triplet and mother didn't want her, these people brought her to me to bottle feed while she got sick and was at vet for 3 1/2 days on fluids and antibiotics and now I have her home it is her back left leg and both of her front legs, I can get her to stand but I'm guessing it is to painful for her to walk, she looks better and very vocal and is eating good now, What can I use on her joints to help relieve some of the swollen and pain to help her to start walking again. I have put in a lot of time on her and not ready to give up yet.  Can you please help me on this journey.  Thank you Sonya

ANSWER: What did the vet do/diagnosis? Are the joints swollen and hot?  Is she running a fever (anything over 102.5)? What do you have her on currently for medicine?  Is she on antibiotics?  If her joints are swollen then she has joint ill/infection of the joints and this needs LA200 antibiotic given intramuscularly for 5 days at 1/2 cc each dose.  If the legs are simply weak then she has selenium deficiency and needs a combination of selenium/E/D to take care of that.  You would crush one tablet of 200 mcg selenium (over the counter) and dissolve in a little hot water, then to that add half the oil from a 1000 IU vitamin E capsule and half the oil from an 800 IU vitamin D capsule (just poke a hole in the capsule and squeeze out the oil), mix, cool and give orally then repeat same dose in 2 days and again in 10 days.  If she does have joint ill and/or a fever then giving aspirin at 1/4 of a 325 mg human aspirin, crush and dissolve in a little hot water, cool and give orally every 4 hours until the symptoms are resolving.  Hope this helps - let me know.  Donna

QUESTION: The vet kept her for 5 days on iv  fluids and antibiotics, her fever is gone, she is eating now 8 oz of milk per feeding, he pulled 6cc of puss out of her hind hip and injected antibiotics into it and the same with the 2 front knees, I've had her home for 2 days now and she wants to get up and walk, but she won't, the swelling is gone, so I'm going to do what you advised in your answer, I'm just hoping that her legs are week and with me exercising them and doing what you suggested will help her stand and walk again, I will follow up with you in a couple of days after giving her the vitamins.  Thank you so much, I appreciate your help so much, this is my first goat so I'm completely new at this and I won't give up on her.

ANSWER: Thanks for the update.  I would suggest you keep her on aspirin to help with any pain or discomfort she still may be having - it will not hurt her - if goats hurt they don't like to stand or walk.  Would go with the selenium.  I might also suggest giving Arnica Montana - an over the counter homeopathic remedy to help heal joints - these are small pellets and would use two pellets two to four times a day - I dissolve the pellets in a little hot water, cool and give mixture, which will include a little of the pellet left in it usually.  Sounds like you are doing a great job with your first goat - doing the best by it - hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: I hate to bother you again, but when I dissolve the selenium and aspirin in water, (how much water do I use to do this ? ) and the same for the arnica Montana.  Thanks Sonya

Answer:
Never a bother with questions.  I use just a small amount of water to dissolve crushed tablets in - the smaller amount used the less you have to get down the goat.  Same with Arnica, as an example, I would use perhaps 3 cc of water per 3 pellets of the Arnica to dissolve it in.  Hope this helps - Donna

Question:

But now she won't even straighten her right front leg out, its like it is stuck like that (bent at the knee), I have been rubbing it with oils, she does not have fever, and her left back leg she will not use at all, and there is no more swelling there at all, I have noticed intense labor breathing, I'm just so lost and cry all the time because I feel like I'm doing something wrong

Answer
Thanks for the info.  I did look back to see what I had advised.  Did you ever start her on the LA200? And, if so, was it given intramuscularly? Has she had two doses of the selenium?  What is her temperature?  Anything over 102.5 is a fever.  The labored breathing sounds like she now has a pneumonia.  Let me know re the questions above.  I so understand feeling frustrated.  Goats are difficult enough to figure out what is wrong when they are ill, but kid goats make it lots more difficult.  Let me know - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres