Goats/Doeling Herniated umbilicus

QUESTION: I have been told that a doe with a herniated umbilicus should not be bred to to the extra stress in that area. I have a week old beautiful doeling that has a herniated umbilicus. Is there anything I can do to repair it permanently?

ANSWER: A herniated umbilicus can be genetic or it can just be from the birth process.  Depending on how large this is will decide if breeding her will cause issues or not.  Is it easily pushed in/how large is it? A vet could do a hernia repair, as is done in humans.  Many times herniated umbilicus' that are caused by the birth process repair themselves and the goat has no issues.  Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: Thank you Donna.. Herniated during the birth process. I haven't tried pushing it in. I will do that. It seemed to me that the umbilical cord was especially large but have had no other problems with her lines. She was first in a set of triplets and Mom gave birth to her standing up. Just plopped her out onto the ground!
I appreciate your help. I will watch her and hope it repairs itself otherwise I will get her "repaired"!

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like the "plopped" out created the hernia.  If it is not too large it may recede/repair by itself and if you see no hernia forming as she matures then I would assume her muscles have repaired themselves enough to be strong enough for kidding.  You could push it in and tape over it or wrap the area with vet wrap to help keep it in.  Or you could just watch to see if it starts becoming smaller.  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County