Goats/goat barn

Question
we are going to build a new goat barn, and we were wondering what to make the floor of, whether concrete or just to leave it as dirt. we are going to have a section for kidding also. what do you recommend? also what do you think we should have in the floor plan. thank you so much and God Bless.

Answer
Would stay away from concrete for sleeping area for goats - the concrete will leach away the heat from them.  You could put concrete in your milking area.  I like dirt as a base and then cover with pine shavings or straw. This way you can clean out the area easily. I like two smaller pens for kidding pens - our barn was originally a horse barn and has a large milking area/feed area/first aid item area that is about 10 feet x 10 feet with a door on it, makes it secure to keep goats out of the feed.  The other two stalls are 20 x 20 and then there is a 30 x 30 stall - I put pallets up in the 20 x 20 stalls to make smaller pens so each doe has her own space.  The 30 x 30 feet stall is one that I use after the doe has kidded and this gives her time to recuperate before putting her back out in the pasture with the other goats.  We bottle raise all our kid goats so as soon as the kids are born we take them away.  Hope this helps.  Donna  

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres