Goats/hair question

Question
We have a three year old pygmy goat that has had a skin problem area around her tail.  It gets swollen, dry, and cracks the skin.  We have been giving her ivermectin injections on a monthly basis as recommended by our vet.  The vet did a biopsy of the area over a year ago, but found no problems with it.  Recently, the problem is starting to occur again, but now it looks like her fur on her chest and around her tail has been shaved.  She itches occasionally, but not chronically.  It also looks like the hair on top of her nose is rubbed off.  Her mate had the tail problem, too, but never at the same time and hasn't since.  She receives the injections, too. Do have any idea what it may be or what we can do to resolve the problem?

Thanks so much.

Answer
HI Rita,

Dermatitis is one of the most difficult things to diagnose - esp since I cannot see her..  skin scrapings by the vet is you best bet.. if he suspects external parasites such as mites or lice..  injecting ivomec will not help.. you will need to use an external pour on explained here: http://goat-link.com/content/view/180/168
It could also be a fungal infection of sorts.. which in case would require a fungicide.. http://www.durvet.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=97:topical-fungicide

being the chest and nose are bare.. I'd say lice..  she is rubbing the hair off most likely.. on fences..  yard furniture.. other things she can lean on and rub against..  If she were mine,  I would try the Ivomec Pour on .. and see if this doesn't help.. In addition  you could give her a benedryl capsule to help relieve the itching..  it may make her drowsy..  but  honestly.. the injected Ivomec  does not work as an external parasite control in goats..  like it does for sheep and cattle..

Hope this helps some..  

Goats

Goatlady