Goats/Ivomec sheep drench dosage for goats

Hi, i wanted to ask you what the dosage for ivomec sheep drench for goats would be.I seem to get a lot of conflicting advice. One says as the label reads, others say 3 x the dose for sheep. The Problem seems to be in the amount of medication used in the drench versus the amount say in a cattle injectable.

Could you please advise me? i used it once at label dose and it didnt do any good, my goats are still shaggy haired, lice, mites, and some have clumpy stools.

I normally use an herbal wormer and the goats do fine when i remember to use a wormwood formula 3 days in a row every 8 weeks. I have been physically ill so i have fallen out of my normal routines and hence the worm problem.

HI Dawn,
You are FAR better off using Ivomec PLUS injectable..  injected SQ..  this is the most effective dewormer - if you have no  pregnant does.. you can use Valbazen oral suspension if you want to deworm orally..
As far as external parasites..  a dewormer will NOT get rid of mites, lice etc.. you Need to use a topical  such as Ivomec POUR on in combination .. even though it (the pour on)  IS a dewormer as well for cattle. it is NOT effective as a dewormer for goats.. so.. pour on for lice , injectable for wormload..
Please read these articles..

Ivomec PourOn:
IvomecPLUS Injectable:

For the Sheep drench.. this is what I have.. (BUT I do not recommend using it for goats)
0.08% Solution
For the Treatment and Control of Worms and Bots of Sheep
NADA 131-392, Approved by the FDA
Consult your veterinarian for assistance in the diagnosis, treatment, and control of parasitism.
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: IVOMEC Drench for Sheep is a ready-to-use, free-flowing solution of ivermectin. It is formulated to deliver the recommended dose rate of 0.2 mg ivermectin per 1 kg body weight given orally at a volume of 3.0 mL per 26 lb body weight.
INDICATIONS: IVOMEC Drench for Sheep provides treatment and control of adult and fourth-stage larvae of the following parasites: Gastrointestinal Roundworms - Haemonchus contortus, Ostertagia circumcincta, Trichostrongylus axei, T. colubriformis, Cooperia curticei, Nematodirus spathiger, N. battus, and Oesophagostomum columbianum; Lungworms - Dictyocaulus filaria; and all the larval stages of Nasal Bot - Oestrus ovis. It also provides treatment and control of adult forms only of the following Gastrointestinal Roundworms - Haemonchus placei, Cooperia oncophora, Strongyloides papillosus, Oesophagostomum venulosum, Trichuris ovis, and Chabertia ovina.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION: IVOMEC Drench for Sheep may be used in any standard drenching equipment or in any equipment which provides a consistent dose volume. IVOMEC Drench for Sheep is administered orally at a dose of 3.0 mL (2.4 mg ivermectin) per 26 lb body weight or 200 mcg ivermectin per kilogram of body weight.
Coughing may be observed in some animals during and for several minutes following drenching."

IN Addition:
Drenching with drenches, it is very important to make sure the product is delivered over the base of the tongue. By doing so, the dose is delivered to the rumen where it will be mixed with the ingesta and then distributed evenly throughout the gastrointestinal tract. If the dose is delivered into the front part of the mouth, the animal may spit all or part of it out.  Additionally the swallowing or "gag" reflex may stimulate closure of the esophageal groove, causing the product to bypass the rumen. When the rumen is bypassed, the dose goes directly into the omasum (third stomach) and moves quickly through the gastrointestinal tract, thus not allowing sufficient time for the anthelmintic to achieve full effectiveness. The other form of oral administration is in feed products, which does not ensure that all animals will receive an effective dose because individual animals utilize these products differently. Some animals eat more or less than others due to their appetite, their place in the pecking order or their distaste for the formulation -- specifically pelleted dewormers, supplement blocks and mineral mixes.

Although it is not recommended to do so, if one elects to use injectable products , injections are subcutaneous and best administered in an area of exposed skin, usually under the front legs, so that it's possible to see the dose being delivered. It is best to not "tent" the skin. Just lay the needle on the skin and insert it quickly. If the skin is tented, the needle may come out the other side and the injected material will be administered on the skin surface. If the injection is given in an area covered by hair, it can be difficult to ensure that the needle actually penetrates the skin and the dose is delivered appropriately. Sometimes the injected material will run back out of the needle hole, so make sure to press a finger over the injection site for a few seconds to prevent leakage. If one elects to use a pour-on product, which is also not recommended, the material has to be delivered on to the skin. Parting of the hair may be necessary to achieve this, particularly if the hair is long. There are mixed reports as to whether pour-ons, approved for use in cattle only, work on goats. For the most part, they do not seem to be that effective in goats and may also cause skin irritation.

The major problem encountered in controlling nematode parasitism in goats is the genetic resistance that many worm populations -- specifically H. contortus (barber pole worm) -- have developed to essentially all of our dewormers. Resistance has developed primarily because dewormers have been used and rotated too frequently and many times under-dosing occurs. Continuing to use such a dewormer will increase the selection of more resistant worms which will eventually result in a population of "superworms" that can’t be controlled with drugs. There is no silver bullet one can rely upon. Resistance is genetically controlled, and once established, it is set in the population, and those dewormers can no longer be used effectively.

I hope this clears things up for you and that you are back to 100% health soon..  I know how difficult it is to care for goats when we are not feeling well.  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University