I have been told that if the CL breaks and it gets on wood it will stay on the wood forever. Is that true or can the wood troughs be cleaned and safe to use?  We were thinking of mixing hilex and water and scrubbing them that way.

It won't stay on wood forever. If you know where it got on the wood, I would recommend that you sanitize it and continue to use the trough. I am not sure what hilex is, though. Bleach would work. However, you may still have a problem with it being in the ground. And my vet informed me that it can come in on hay that came from a field that had infected animals on it.

Good luck. CLA is a challenging problem in goats.

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, www.goathealthcare.com. I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law