Goats/Couple Questions

I have 2 Nigerian Dwarf goats about 8 weeks old now both wethers. Have had them for about 6 weeks and have been bottle feeding. Also feeding grain and hay with a little alfalfa. One seemed constipated and may still be he is not acting himself. He is urinating. He has not drank a bottle since Thursday evening. He is eating and drinking water. I tried a mild glycerin softener but came right back out with some poo. He seems to be more vocal like some thing bothers him and not letting me touch him much. Any help would be great.

HI Kimberley:
What are they eating in the bottles?  What is his rectal temp? if replacer then this may very well be the problem.. If you have CD antitoxin on hand this would be a good time to give it..  little tummies are very tender to change in feed  and overeating. ALSO,they do not really need grain at this young age.. digestive upset is common when tiny ones like this  are getting too much in the way of solids and or getting replacer - usually replacer gives scours.. but I suggest cutting back on the grain.. change to milk and  try an enema..  I am sending you some links to articles that explain things  far better with diagrams or photos..  for ease  of  visualizing..

CD ANTI-toxin:

Bottle Feeding and how to change from replacer to milk:

How to give an enema:

Baby Goat Digestion:

In addition he really is too young to have already been castrated.. esp the smaller breeds..  (for future reference) - try to wait till 6 months of age..  it gives the urethra a chance to develop and less chance later in life of getting UC..

Article on castrating:  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University