Goats/Fluid/swelling in the knees

Question
What causes and can be done to help my little goat with the fluid build-up on his knees?  He trips and stumbles quite a bit but never goes down.  The stumbling started three years ago and a veterinarian told us it was arthritis and to get rid of him.  Of course, that is not going to happen.  Since that time he has gotten worse with more swelling in the knees and just recently it has become soft like fluid and tripled in size.  He seems painful now when i touch it.  Still not falling, eating very well and otherwise apparently completely healthy and loving.  Any medications...draining the fluid...help!!!

Answer
HI Mary,
It most likely is CAEV (have you had him or others related to him tested ?) I say this  rather than some sort of trauma due to the length of time he has had it.. little can be done for it actually - you can ask the vet to prescribe an pain reducer/anti-inflammatory  such as Banamine or  even prednisone which if the latter is used will be long term.. and being a corticosteroid may have other effects on him over time.. I would opt for the banamine..  talk to your vet..
I have also heard others get a bit of relief using baking soda orally

I have an article on the subject..
http://goat-link.com/content/view/149/157

In the meantime I think I would take him to the vet and ask that his knees be drained which will help relieve the pain as well.
If none of these things are possible - a regular aspirin dialy will most likely help.. not advil or tylenol.. real aspirin.. 325ml aspirin..

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.. :(
I wish I had more to offer.  

Goats

Goatlady