Goats/New kid with yellow diarrhea

Aragon and Legolas
Aragon and Legolas  
QUESTION: Hi Donna!!

Apache my dwarf goat had two beautiful buck kids last night.  Totally adorable!  It was her first time and since she was a bottle baby she wanted us by her side through the whole birth.  My son who is ten got to watch and he was thrilled and kind of grossed out.  Definitely a good experience for him.

So the birth went very quickly.  However Apache wouldn't nurse them by herself.  We had to hold her the first couple of times until she got the idea that she was supposed to take care of them.  She was actually scared of them!  Never seen that before... Now she seems to have the idea and has been nursing and licking them.  The one buckling has yellow poops today though.  The other one doesn't.  Mom is fine with normal poops and urine.  What should I do?  And should I treat both bucklings or just the one with diarrhea?

I had given mom CDT vaccination in January.

So glad I can ask you all my goat questions!!

Thank you,

ANSWER: Birth is so fun and yes, yucky sometimes, but glad your son was there.  

Usually first poops are the black toxic waste sticky stuff.  Then next is the yellow poop.  Is this a yellow diarrhea or just soft poop?  Is the one buckling eating okay? Is he looking otherwise okay?  A little early for possible enterotoxemia but could be.  Can start on sulfa oral powder (mix in a little of mom's milk) giving half of 1/8 teaspoon a.m. and p.m. Can also give CDT toxoid at 1/2 cc.  Did mom have her CDT booster at 4 weeks prior to kidding?  Let me know - Donna

QUESTION: Its definitely diarrhea.  They both have it this morning pasted all over their behinds.  They both seem to be eating ok and gaining weight.  Otherwise both healthy and alert.  How long do I give the Sulfa powder?

Mom did not have a booster.  I have only been doing the yearly CDT for the adult goats.  I have a bottle of CDT tetanus left over from the last round of shots.  It says to use the whole bottle after opening.  Can I still use it or do I have to get a new bottle?

Thank you!

ANSWER: Thanks for the update.  So I would use the sulfa for twice a day for 5 to 7 days.  I would mix the sulfa into some pepto bismol, perhaps one teaspoon of the pepto as the pepto will help coat the tummy and also help stop the diarrhea.  If the CDT toxoid bottle is not expired it is fine to use.  Would give 1/2 cc now and repeat again tomorrow.  If possible would give the CDT into the rear thigh muscles as an intramuscular injection.  Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: It does help.  

By sulfa do you mean Di-methox sulfadimethoxine antibacterial soluble powder?  It says for cattle and poultry.  Unfortunately the one large animal vet in town was out of the office but the office gals thought this is what I needed.  About how much should I give them?  It doesn't have a single small animal dose, it only says one packet per 100 gallons of water.

Thank you so much!!

Yes, the dimethox powder is it.  This is usually available over the counter at most farm/feed stores and you are correct it is usually used for poultry or cattle.  Dosing is usually one teaspoon per 50 pounds body weight given a.m. and p.m. for 5 to 7 days.  The oral drenching makes it easier to know how much is given and that the goat gets it's fair share of the dosing.  Hope that helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County