Goats/possible constipation

Question
I have a 1 1/2 year old Boar X male goat.  He is standing and walking around but will not eat. Temp is normal.  Yesterday he got out of his pasture and was eating brush etc. in the field next to his pasture.  We live in Sanford N. Carolina.  When I came home from work tonight he was in his shelter and did not want to come out.  When I got him up he walked around and then strained like he was trying to have a bowel movement with no success and did not want to eat. Could you please help.  There are few vets in the area that work with farm animals.  Any help would be appreciated because he is my baby.  Thank You !!!!!

Answer
HI Mary
First thing always is to take a rectal temperature.. normal is 101.5 to 103.5  and in hot weather not unusual for it to be 104 and still be  considered normal - anything higher figure fever - not unusual to have pneumonia this time of year esp with wet humid weather. Pneumonia will make them stand off in a corner,  not want to eat,  sometimes  have scours.. (diarrhea) and they may or may not have a discharge from the nose.. usually  with fever but sometimes no fever - THIS being said..   

The very first thing I think of when I hear anything about "straining for a bowel movement " in a male goat intact or not.. I think UC - have you seen him pee ?  This is the first thing to rule out.
Many times it will appear as if he straining to have a bowel movement  when in fact he is unable to pass urine. This can happen usually due to diet..  early castration, straight alfalfa diet, and a diet high in concentrated feeds will bring this on usually. First you need to  make sure you are able to witness his urine output.. a steady stream  not just a dribble.  If you have determined he is peeing normally.. you can use a fleet enema on him to help his bowel movement in addition you can administer Milk of Magnesia orally  to help him as well..  in a full grown goat I would use  3-4 TBSP of Milk of Magnesia orally - if nothing in a couple hours, repeat the dose- If he has a bowel movement and pees normally and Still acts like his belly hurts..
it might be gut related.. bloat or indigestion of some sort..

here are a couple links for articles to read through and see if you think by observation this applies to him..

UC  http://goat-link.com/content/view/67/49/1/2
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/urinarycalculi06.html

Pneumonia:  http://goat-link.com/content/view/77/57

Bloat: http://goat-link.com/content/view/16/81/

Let me know which of these you believe you are dealing with -  BUT I would try the enema after you have seen him urinate..  if he does NOT urinate call around to find a vet who can help you with this ASAP..  even if he is a vet 100 miles away..  UC is life threatening.. and will not get better on it's own.

Look forward to good news.. hopefully that he has passed  a bowel movement and all is well.  

Goats

Goatlady