Goats/Pygmy UTI

QUESTION: I believe my goat has an urinary tract infection or possibly stones. I'm trying lemon juice every 2 hours and he is drinking water. He is still playful and energetic other than when he stops to urinate. He will get in his stance and grunt or whine very loudly. I was out of town for a one week vacation and had someone babysit him while I was gone so today is the first day I am noticing this. My question is what can I guve him for pain? Can he have adult aspirin? He is only 2 or 3 months old and is a pygmy. Thanks in advance!

ANSWER: Is he pooping okay? Generally kid goats do not get urinary stones.  What type of bedding does he have?  Use of cedar shavings can cause urinary infections in male or wether goats.  You can certainly treat him for both the infection and the possible stones at the same time and I would suggest that.  Use of the lemon juice - must be the concentrated type to work - is excellent.  Adding a powdered antibiotic to the regimen will help with possible infection - use of a sulfa type powder (livestock) works best - most feed/farm stores carry this - sometimes in the poultry section - dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per 15 to 20 pounds given twice a day for 7 days.  The powder needs to be mixed with either apple juice or a lemonade to cover the terrible taste - during the antibiotic dosing he also should have some probiotics to keep his rumen functioning well - yogurt or powdered type works well.  Re the pain, yes to the aspirin - one 325 mg human aspirin per 75 pounds body weight every 4 hours for pain - this needs to be crushed and dissolved in a little hot water.  Hope this helps - Donna

QUESTION: He appears to be pooping fine. When he tries to pee, only a deop or two comes out and he cries the whole time he strains.  I have been feeding him medicated goat pellets that are supposed to help with urinary problems. I was also feeding him timothy hay but I haven't given him anymore today because I was afraid it could be the problem. I have always used hay for his bedding, too. He is drinking concentrated lemon juice out of a bottle and I just mixed a low dosage of aspirin with this last bottle. He only weighs about 15 pounds and has not been castrated yet. How much yogurt should I give him? Just plain regular yogurt? Do I mic it with the antibiotics and apple juice?

Thanks for the update. The medicated goat pellets for urinary stones really don't help.  Timothy hay is fine, it is alfalfa you need to stay away from for urinary calculi.  1/2 teaspoon of yogurt twice a day works - mix in a little water to thin so you can give orally.  Plain or fruit yogurt works.  Yes, mixing the antibiotics in apple juice works well.  Is he on grain at all?  Grain made for dairy does is the worst culprit for urinary stones as it does not have the correct 3:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio that is necessary for male or wether goats to keep them from getting urinary calculi.  Hope this helps - Donna

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres

All goat health care, nutrition, judging questions about all goats - packgoats, dairy goats, pygmy goats, meat goats, fleece goats.

27 years health care/nutrition of all types of goats, 17 years experience in packgoats, 20 years experience in 4H goat projects as leader, superintendent and judge. 20 years experience in putting on goat care/nutrition seminars.

NAPgA, The Evergreen Packgoat Club, 4H, ADGA.

Hobby Farm, many newspapers, 4H newsletters, Packgoat Manuals (youth and general), judging information pamphlets, seminar handouts about health care and nutrition.

4 years of college, ongoing education in goats.

Small Farm Award of Thurston County