Goats/Sick Nanny

Question
Hi Donna,

My nanny goat Apache was acting off tonight.  She was laying in the barn instead of in the goat yard and the barn was very warm.  Then when I let everyone out she walked out for a minute then right back in to lay down.  Then when I grained she didn't come out to eat.  Now I KNEW something was not right.

I took her temp and she was at 102.1.  Her poop is not diarrhea but it is not pellets.  More like a very thick cow patty.  I gave her water with electrolytes and vitamins for livestock.  She drank quite a bit of it.  She nibbled a little grain.  Ate quite a bit of hay.  I also gave her 2 1/2 tsp of Sulfa mixed with pepto.  I have penicillin on hand but thought the sulfa might be easier with her.  She licked the mixture right up but then stood there gagging.  Like when they are going to cough up a bit of cud to chew only she did it a bunch of times for several minutes.  Right now she is up and nibbling hay.  I think she let her two kids nurse because they don't act like they are hungry.  Her gums are grey.  I just wormed a month ago but maybe she didn't get enough?  So just in case I gave her another dose orally instead of the pellets I would normally feed.  

Is there anything else I can do for her?  She is our favorite little darling and has two of the cutest little bucklings.  Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much Donna!!

Answer
Any white foam around the mouth?  If so this could be a toxin.  Milk of magnesia could help then.  Otherwise I would start her on penicillin intramuscular injections at 3 cc/100 pounds body weight twice a day for five days - also she needs probiotics and vitamin B complex (has thiamin/B1) in it to help keep polio away.  Would keep her hydrated with electrolytes - human or livestock - if she does not drink these herself then orally drench her with them.  Pneumonia is what we would be treating for.  Hope this helps - Donna

Goats

Donna Ruelas-Semasko/Edelweiss Acres