Goats/unusual udder problem

Goat kidded on Sat. morning. (not my goat, just given to me on Sunday) they couldn't find where she had the kids so called me. They brought her to me Sun. night where I milked out 2 qts. of colostrum! Since then, no milk. I get a 1/4 cup if I really try. No fever, no signs of mastitis, no congested udder. Vet said try 1/2 cc oxy. I did this and still no milk. She had a beautiful udder. Never had anything like this happen. Any suggestions? Been raising milk goats 10 yrs. Never seen a goat literally dry off in 24 hours. Can you advise? Thank you so much for your time, Cherivld60

HI Cheri:

So this is a new goat with unknown origin? Where are the kids? I DO hope you have her quarantined from your herd and milking  room..
The best answer I have to offer  (And this may be off you will have to have her tested)  is Mycoplasmas, which can cause contagious agalactia.
The other thing I can think of is lack of water - sometimes when a new goat comes it is not used to the water.. and does not drink  but this severe a drop in milk production with your observation of not being mastitis or congested udder - my only other offering is contagious agalactia.  She needs to be seen by a vet to rule this out..  as it may affect your herd.. I wish I could be more help..  this is not something I am personally familiar with and I  too would be very confused  on how quick this has happened.. has her feed changed?

read these articles:  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University