Goats/goat with arthritis

I have a Fainter doe that is 13 years old. She has just started favoring her left front leg. The joint is swollen a bit. My vet gave me Meloxicam give her for a week. (two pills a day) Being a Nsaid, I am concerned about keeping her on this. She was a bit better last week but she is favoring it. I did stop today and picked up a few more but I don't think I want to keep her on it. My question is about asprin. Can I give her a regular asprin? Can I keep her on it or give it to her for awhile? How about 2 asprin a day? Thank you, Dee M.

Hi Dee:
Honestly? yes you can give aspirin but I do not think I would use this as a long term medication - as it does thin the blood and can cause digestive upset - If the NSAID medication  the vet prescribed is working..  I would go ahead with that for now.. she would possibly need to be weaned off of it when it is time to stop but at 13 yrs old,  painful joints are often times the case.

Meloxicam is used to treat tenderness, swelling, and pain caused by the inflammation of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. It is also  somewhat less for adverse reactions than aspirin

You might also try  warm compresses on the joints..  it is one of those things that effects many older goats :(  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University