I have a Fainter doe that is 12 years old. Never bred, always in good health but the last few days she is straining to pee and blats at the same time. I had my vet out and we checked her urine and the Doc said everything looks good so she thought she may have a slight infection. She put her on LA200 with three shots, two days apart. She seemed to feel better and would blat once in awhile. She was bleeding a little but I didn't know at this age if she was coming into season. Friday morning all was fine and when we did chores in the early evening she was done and had a blood bubble coming out of her vagina and was straining really bad, it looked like she was giving birth. She was crying and I was so afraid it would burst so we didn't wait for the doc, we put her down. I just don't know what was going on inside her. I call it a blood bubble because I don't know what else to call it.It looked like her female parts was letting go. Please if you can maybe give me some ideas on what was happening to her. We just couldn't let her suffer. Thank you Dee M.

Without a necropsy, it is impossible to know. Possibility includes a vaginal tumor of some sort (leiomyoma) that affected an artery,  did the vet feel her uterus to see whether s/he felt a mass of any sort? I think that or bladder cancer are likely. 12 is old for a goat, so I think you did the right thing. I am sorry for your loss. It is hard to lose these old girls. I have one that age right now and she already has arthritis. Take care.

Cheryl K. Smith

Goat Health Care; basic goat management. Author of Goat Health Care (2009) and Raising Goats for Dummies (2010)

Publisher of Goat Health Care, www.goathealthcare.com. I have raised miniature dairy goats since 1998. I published Ruminations, the Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Dairy Goat magazine for 7 years and mentor other goat owners, as I was mentored for my first years.

American Goat Society (AGS), The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR)

Raising Goats for Dummies (author) Goat Health Care (Editor and Author), Ruminations, Dairy Goat Journal, Issues in Law and Medicine, Topics in Health Records Management, Oregon Bar Bulletin, Midwifery Today, Countryside

BS, Health Information Administration JD, Law