Goats/Goats on Rocks

Hi there, we are purchasing a new house with an acre lot, half of which is a rocky hill (not steep, but rocky with limited grass), is that an okay surface for goats to jump around on? We would build a shelter and flat surface as well, but majority would be rock.

Thank you.

HI Carmen:
It all depends on how  big the rocks are and if there is some chance they will be able to use them to jump over fencing.  Are these big rocks or boulders?  Goats Love to climb, of course like children they will always have to be watched for accidents - but as long as they have ample space to lay down and just wander around, things should be fine. I personally have things set up so nothing blocks my view from my house to the goats- so IF someone gets into trouble I can do a quick look from the window and see  what is going on - before I am out the door every time someone hollers.  This has been my concern for 23+ years. Goats LOVE to climb  on rocks and it can help keep the hooves  from having to be trimmed so often. Sounds like a potential goat haven.  Just remember not all goats are  as agile as folks may thing and they could fall. They are like children and must be  kept an eye on.. for a variety of reasons. :)  

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University