Goats/Kid Teeth Rotting & Falling Out

I have a 2 1/2 month old male goat. He is new to our property - we got him a week ago. I just noticed his front two teeth are missing and there appears to be rot/decay at his gum line. He eats well enough, looks healthy, runs around, drinks water... In all other ways he seems fine. I am very worried about his teeth though. What should I do?

HI Rhea
can you send a photo of this?  At 18 months old they  loose  the 2 front teeth but sounds like maybe he got them knocked out or broken off?  Hard to say without seeing it. The front teeth are for biting  off twigs and leaves.. the back teeth are for chewing food.. so..  better the front ones than back ones, are you sure of his age? At this age he has baby teeth.

Specializing in New Goat Owner understanding of goat physiology, goat anatomy, goat care and herd management. *I am not a veterinarian, any advice and information should be verified by your veterinarian before administering to your goats. (! During times of severe weather in the Midwest, I may experience a delay in internet service due to the interference of the satellite reception - but will answer your questions as soon as service is restored. !) Note: Keep in mind, the goat expert is volunteering her time to help other goat owners, she also runs her farm with her own herd of 100 goats and may not be at her computer at all hours. Questions are answered as soon as she can possibly read and answer them, usually within 24 hours.

23 years experience of raising goats and herd management. Active hands on experience with goat herd and research with various Caprine University Research and Extension Centers nationwide. 15 years dedicated to helping other goat breeders/owners with goat anatomy, goat disease and goat health care issues via phone, published goat care articles and internet interaction. The information I have to offer is not only from personal experience and years of research updated often as new information is made available to me, but supported by many Veterinary Research colleges and all medications and information I have to offer on how the medications work and what dosages "I" use, is information I have acquired by discussing directly with the company's veterinarians and staff research experts.

12 year active member of International Veterinary Information Service

United Caprine News, Homesteaders Magazine, Columnist for Goat Magazine, Owner and Author of GoatPedia™

Graduate Programs in Medicine, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University